Friday, October 19, 2007

Il est un fou!

I could not have possibly felt more like a teacher than I did this afternoon. I was standing in the front of the room, with words written all over the chalk board in my terrible penmenship. I was beginning to erase the board so there was chalk dust all over me, the board and the air around me. I was trying to explain what the verb cement meant in English to a bunch of native French speakers. In order to not make recourse to French, when I explain words I just list off synonyms. As I was listing off synonyms, I started laughing. The students started looking at me. I thought one even in said in French that I was crazy. I was thinking in my head that I was going to be a walking thesaurus by the time I am finished here. Then, I started laughing because I realized they wouldn't know what a thesaurus was and then I started lauhing even more because I thought of how funny it was that I was going to try and think of synonyms for thesaurus to explain to them what it was and then from there try to explain why I was laughing. All of these layers were just cracking me up and all the while I was getting chalk all over my face trying to cover it from laughing. Then the students just started chuckling to themselves about how strange it was watching this 23 year old American guy covered in chalk laughing at nothing they could possibly understand and not able to explain it them.

No comments: