Monday, October 1, 2007

Dimanche

I visited one of the English speaking churches in Paris today, Emmanuel International Church. This is the church that Dan Morrow used to work at when he lived in Paris, so I thought I would give it a go. It took me a little over an hour and 30 minutes to get to Reuil-Malmaison, the suburb the church is in. The service started at 11:30 and lucky for me, I left well before it. I arrived just after it started to here about what I would expect at a Baptist Church. It was quasi contemporary worship with a woman leading the worship with overly dramatic hand gestures towards heaven, acting as if she could single handedly work the congregation into the most euphoric sense of worship they had ever felt. The congregation acted like a typical Baptist one, they watched. The pastor delivered a good message on Acts and it was over. I met the pastor who knew Dan and it was oddly comforting to be talking to someone who knew someone I knew. I usually scoff at these stupid social pleasantries, but I was actually quite glad to be talking to someone about a mutual friend. The pastor introduced me to another person about my age who asked me to go to lunch and then told me to wait for him. I stood out front of the church for almost 15 minutes waiting before I decided that was enough and took off for Massy.
Tonight, I tried my hand at cooking fish on a hot plate. I have never felt more like a single young adult male. I forgot the olive oil, and since everything is closed in Massy on Sunday, was forced to try something else. I tried wine. That was not a good idea. I poured nearly a half a bottle onto the skillet trying to keep the fish from sticking to the pan. The fish never even got close to cooking. I finally decided to call it quits and stick a premade dinner in the microwave. I was, however, able to steam some green beans.

No comments: