Friday, September 28, 2007

Une Soiree a Chez Alex

I was able to spend the next several nights with some other teachers from the Lycee. The first night we went to the pub to watch the World Cup of Rugby, specifically a match between Ireland and France. I have never watched rugby so most of what was going was lost on me. I did have a good pint of an Extra Special Bitter and some good conversation. It was funny as I was watching the match because people around me could tell that I was confused. And, if they didn't know me, they would try to explain to me in all different languages what was going on. Some thought I was French, English and Spanish. I guess that is a good thing because I didn't look obviously American, which is of course every American's dream in Europe, not too look American.
The next night I was invited to a "soiree" at one of the teachers apartment. I walked to the old part of the village I live so I could get something to bring to the party. Upon entering the boulangerie, I asked, in French, the lady behind the counter what I should bring to this little party I was going to. After a couple of questions she brought out this nice gateau and I was on my way. The night of the soiree was a beautiful night and we were eating and drinking outside in this beautiful little courtyard. This town they live in used to be a farm town and they acutally live in an apartment that used to be part of the original farm house. There was a table setup on the cobble stone courtyard with candles lit, red wine flowing and little Diana Krall drifting down from the window above. When you looked up, just over the building you could just see the steeple of the little church in the village. It was absolutely perfect.

No comments: