Friday, September 28, 2007

First Blog

Well, after a little more than 18 hours of traveling, I finally arrived in Massy, France. My new home town. One of the teachers from the school was kind enough to pick me up from the train station (of which there are two in my town!). Upon meeting up with her, I found out that my room was not ready at the lycee. At first this was a little unsettling, but she said that I could stay at her place for the next couple of nights until my room is ready. I spent most of the day with another English teacher at the school because she is younger and is going to be my main contact. Her name is Myriam. She is technically Canadien. She speaks English fluently as she did a program like I am doing in England. I am not sure how old she is, probably 25 or 26. She is extremely friendly and quite attractive as well (and she is single!)
We went to the Boulangerie/Patisserie that she says is the best in our town. We got some pastries for tea. We had tea with her long time friend Emily. Emily greeted me with a bisou or kiss (my first from a real French woman!). After tea, Myriam wanted me to meet her father, so they took me out to dinner. They were both extremely friendly and during our dinner we covered everything from John Lennon to religion and finished with a discussion of politics. Several things we are taught not to talk about in an American family, but that are quite common in French conversation. I was happy to talk about anything of these topics with them and share my opinions (as anyone knows me can attest). It was a great time and by the end I was ready for bed because I had not slept for nearly 15 hours or so. Today, I think I am going to open a bank account and do a couple of those sort of things with Myriam. That's all for now.

No comments: